[Samba] failure to authenticate from a Toshiba MFD

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jul 31 08:25:27 UTC 2016

See inline comments

On 31/07/16 03:44, David Bear wrote:
> I have a toshiba multifunction device that can save to an smb share.
>
> For years its been saving to an windows server.
>
> I'm trying to move it to samba 4.x.
>
> My samba 4 is running an samba AD DC on a machine called vc1. The samba 4
> file services is running on a system called srv1.
>
> I've made the share on the srv1 smb.conf and have been able to connect to
> it using the smbclient tool. I've also been able to connect to it using a
> fuse file system and a kerb tgt.
>
> Connection with smbclient use the form of
> smbclient \\\\srv1\\share -U IN\user
>
> Where IN is my AD DC domain name
>
> This works as expected. However, I cannot use a user name in the form of
> user at IN . I'm not sure if that is the fault of the smbclient tool or
> something in my setup.

Neither, if you give the REALM in the kinit command, it must be the full
realm name or you can choose to not use it

rowland at devstation:~$ kinit rowland at SAMDOM
kinit: Cannot find KDC for realm "SAMDOM" while getting initial credentials
rowland at devstation:~$ kinit rowland at SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM
Password for rowland at SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM:
rowland at devstation:~$ kinit rowland
Password for rowland at SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM:

> kinit user at IN.**** works fine where I used the FQDN for the domain name.
>
> The difficulty here is that I cannot make the toshiba printer save to the
> share at all. I've tried using the form
> IN\user and user at IN
>
> It just doesn't seem to matter how if specify the user name, the toshiba
> fails to store files and I think it is all related to an authentication
> failure.
>
> Any pointers on how I might troubleshoot this? The toshiba doesn't seem to
> have any detail log file.

Try raising the log level on the fileserver and see if anything pops
out, because it seems that your user is found, but then nothing happens.

Rowland