[Samba] Fwd: Good installation documentation on samba4?

Marcel de Reuver marcel at de.reuver.org
Fri Jul 29 20:27:51 UTC 2016

> Regarding the krb5.conf I have never got it working with the example files.
> I have always added at least a "kdc = samdom.example.com" to the lines,
> but
> my file is actually still a bit more complex(and possibly redundant).

Mine is just as in the wiki and it works as expected If you share your
krb5.conf maybe someone can tell what is going wrong. If kinit cannot find
the kdc maybe something is wrong with DNS.

Do you have other services running on your server that depend on kerberos?

See the wiki *https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Testing_Kerberos
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Testing_Kerberos>*

> Maybe I sound a bit angry, but I severely dislike documentation that leaves
> you with an unfinished installation. Compare the monstrously sized Samba
> 3.5 with Samba 4 kind of illustrates the point that not all bases are
> covered which is a shame to me.

My first Samba AD DC was a VirtualBox running Ubuntu with Samba self
complied and setup according to the wiki. Maybe that is the best way to get
to know Samba.