[Samba] Joining Samba4 Member to Samba3 Domain

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Fri Jul 29 18:47:54 UTC 2016

On 07/29/2016 12:41 PM, Jefferson Davis wrote:
> Before I start beating my head against the wall, is there a howto someplace
> for joining a Samba4 member or BDC to a samba3 domain?  Am I going about
> this all wrong?
>
> I most likely will update the PDC to samba 4 next summer due to the amount
> of automation we have to modify that leverages OpenLDAP.   The LDAP server
> that comes with Samba4 seems kinda limited by comparison.
>
> In the meantime, cannot seem to get Samba4 to join the NT4 domain.
>
> The wiki article on this subject is empty, currently.

> Version 4.3.9-Ubuntu
>
> smb.conf:
>
> global]
> workgroup = STANDARD
> server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
> security = DOMAIN
> map to guest = Bad User
> obey pam restrictions = Yes
> pam password change = Yes
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
> %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
> unix password sync = Yes
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 1000
> dns proxy = No
> wins server = 10.100.0.2
> usershare allow guests = Yes
> panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
> idmap config * : backend = tdb

Jefferson,

See if you can find the error in the logs of the member.  If you see
"NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS", then the answer is probably the fact that
you are using 4.3.x.  Since moving to that version, then 4.4 of Samba,
the members will no longer serve shares or respond to testjoin queries
or anything else that requires communication with the controller.  If
you can find a 4.1 or 4.2 that installs in your OS, you may be able to
get it to work.  Beyond that, I don't have any suggestions because I'm
still searching for solutions myself. I'm fairly certain that NT4 bug
fixes are not high priority now that AD functionality is the primary focus.

Good luck.

Dale