[Samba] Joining Samba4 Member to Samba3 Domain

Jefferson Davis jdavis at standardschools.net
Fri Jul 29 17:41:47 UTC 2016

Before I start beating my head against the wall, is there a howto someplace
for joining a Samba4 member or BDC to a samba3 domain?  Am I going about
this all wrong?

I most likely will update the PDC to samba 4 next summer due to the amount
of automation we have to modify that leverages OpenLDAP.   The LDAP server
that comes with Samba4 seems kinda limited by comparison.

In the meantime, cannot seem to get Samba4 to join the NT4 domain.

The wiki article on this subject is empty, currently.

Version 4.3.9-Ubuntu

smb.conf:

global]
workgroup = STANDARD
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
security = DOMAIN
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
%n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
wins server = 10.100.0.2
usershare allow guests = Yes
idmap config * : backend = tdb

*Please note my new email address: jdavis at standardschools.net
<jdavis at standardschools.net>*

Jefferson K Davis,
Director, Technology and Information Systems

Standard School District
1200 North Chester Ave  Bakersfield, CA 93308

661.392.2110 ext 120 (office)
661.978.0859 (mobile)
http://district.standard.k12.ca.us  <http://district.standard.k12.ca.us%20/>

District Users:  Click here to report technology issues
<https://support.standard.k12.ca.us/otrs/customer.pl>
*"Proper Prior Planning Promotes Peak Performance"*