[Samba] Fwd: Good installation documentation on samba4?

Léon van der Kaap leonkaap at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 20:55:55 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am looking for good installation instructions for an active directory
domain controller installation of samba4. The only source I have reliably
found is
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller
which is unfortunately both incomplete in certain sections and incorrect in
others.

A good example of incomplete information is the guide on the name server.
In the org that I work for, we've chosen the samba_internal dns server.
However, the guide is not clear on making sure that the machine needs to
refer to itself for dns queries, something that is quite essential.

An example of incorrect information is that copying the example krb5.conf
file should do the trick. In practice, I have traversed the far corners of
the internet for an actual working example of the krb5.conf file.

Furthermore, there is no "what to do when things fail" fall back option. I
do not know when to continue with the guide and when to test the actual
working state of the installation at a certain state.

In all desperation, I have written my own guide to samba4 installation, but
I have no idea if what I did was sufficient, only that it looks ok when
testing some functionality.

Is there a mythical samba4 guide or are people doomed to endlessly google
their questions?

Kind regards,

Léon