[Samba] Samba-4.3.11 Roaming profiles on FreeBSD10.3

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Jul 28 19:38:44 UTC 2016

I am unable to get roaming profiles to work.  I have turned on
debugging and I believe that I have narrowed down where in the log
file the problem is reported.  However, I do not possess the knowledge
necessary to understand what is going on.

The situation is that assigning a new user the profile:
//DC/PROFILES/%USERNAME%  does not produce anything on the DC's
filesystem.  However, using the same string as a mapping for the
user's home drive works fine.  In other words the directory
//DC/PROFILES/%USERNAME% is created when used as the mapping argument.

However, the existence of this directory does not cure anything.  If
following creation of the profile directory using the mapping gambit
one changes the profile to use that directory then when one logs on as
\\DC\%USERNAME% the profile cannot be found or created on the DC for
that user.  If I rename the existing profile directory to
PROFILES/%USERNAME%.V2 then I do not get the temporary profile error
notice when logging in so the profile is found.  But when logging off
I instead get the error notice that the roaming profile could not be
synchronised and nothing is saved on the host filesystem.

I opened a bug about this on bugzilla.samba.org 12037 and I have
uploaded the log file extract there.  If someone with the requisite
skills could take a look at its contents and give me some idea of what
is happening I would be greatly appreciative.  It is entirely possible
that I have misconfigured some ACL or other but I will need someone to
point out to me what exactly is wrong.  I have repeated the ACL set-up
at least 10 times so if I am doing something wrong it is not evident
to me what it might be.

Canada  L8E 3C3