[Samba] Why is Samba4 not recommended as a file server?

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Thu Jul 28 12:59:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 13:15:43 +0100
Rowland penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:

[snip]

> Yes it does sound strange, but, on windows, groups can and do own
> directories & files. An xidNumber is just that, a number, it is the
> context in how that number is used that is important. If you give
> Domain Admins a gidNumber attribute, then Domain Admins becomes just
> a group, ...
[snip]

Hmmm...

$ ldapsearch -x -ZZZ -b 'ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com' 'cn=Domain Admins'
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com> with scope subtree
# filter: cn=Domain Admins
# requesting: ALL
#

# Domain Admins, Groups, example.com
dn: cn=Domain Admins,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: sambaGroupMapping
cn: Domain Admins
gidNumber: 512
memberUid: root
sambaSID: S-1-5-21-3861070848-2803670205-3675378528-512
sambaGroupType: 2
displayName: Domain Admins

# search result
search: 3
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

$ ldapmodify -x -ZZZ -W -D 'cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com'
Enter LDAP Password:
dn: cn=Domain Users,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com
changetype: modify
delete: gidNumber
modifying entry "cn=Domain Users,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com"
^D
ldap_modify: Object class violation (65)
        additional info: object class 'posixGroup' requires attribute
        'gidNumber'

To me this implies that "posixGroup"s and an AD are incompatible?

(N.B.: I'm only posting this to satisfy my curiousity, not for any
practical reason.)

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is