[Samba] Samba 4.2.x requiring TLS authentication

Felipe Izaguirre felipe.mizaguirre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 19:59:48 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I have installed a Samba AD DC version 4.2.11-20 in a Centos 6.7 machine
and joined it in an existing domain. Everything seems working fine except I
can't bind to it using LDAP simple authentication. When I try to perform a
simple ldapsearch I get the following response:

ldap_bind: Strong(er) authentication required (8)
additional info: BindSimple: Transport encryption required.

That is weird as I have not set the certificates and haven't had configured
nothing to use LDAPS. Looking in the documentation it says that by default
Samba 4 does not use LDAPS and to configure it you need to provide the
certificates.
So, why is this DC is asking me to use LDAPS? Is there some samba-tool
command I can run to debug or some hidden option to disable it?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Felipe Izaguirre
*Computer Scientist Student and Sysadmin*