[Samba] NT4-Style Auth & Roaming Profiles Only?

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue Jul 26 18:40:59 UTC 2016

On 07/26/2016 1:26 PM, Rowland penny wrote:
> On 26/07/16 19:08, Jim Seymour wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:37:51 -0500
>> Dale Schroeder <dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> Jim,
>>>
>>> This may be your problem:  Samba 4.3.9
>>>
>>> Upgrading my NT4 domain from 4.2.x to 4.3.x and beyond broke it, and
>>> no combination of configuration parameters could put it back together
>>> again.
>>>
>>> I wish you better luck.
>> Yikes!
>>
>> Thanks for mentioning that, Dale.  You may have just saved me a *lot*
>> of wasted time.
>>
>> Current stable is 4.4.5.  I hate to get this server out of the
>> repository cycle, but... How far "forward" did you go?
>>
>> Maybe I'll get the last 4.2.x stable release, and 4.4.5, see if I can
>> get working what I want on 4.2.x, then see if I can jump to 4.4.5.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>
> I cannot let this go by without commenting, when the badlock patches
> were released, they also introduced several regressions. All of these
> regressions (hopefully) have now been dealt with, so as long as you
> are running 4.2.12, 4.3.9 or 4.4.3 at least, you should be okay.
>
> Rowland

Sorry Rowland, but the break happened before the badlock patches when
Debian jumped from 4.1.x to 4.3.x, skipping 4.2.x altogether. I have a
Mint LMDE system at 4.2 that can still talk to the domain, so that's all
good.  Win7 systems can log in, so the ldap auth is still working, but
cannot access shares.  Because the domain was already not working, I
never had the opportunity to see what effect the badlock patches might
have had.  And so it goes.

Jim, currently at Debian 4.4.5.  If you search this list, you will find
others who have had the same thing happen.  To my knowledge, none have
come back to say that their NT4 domain is working again post-4.2.x.  I
will gladly try the smb.conf of someone who has a working Samba4 + ldap
NT4 domain, if provided.

Dale