[Samba] NT4-Style Auth & Roaming Profiles Only?

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Tue Jul 26 18:05:08 UTC 2016

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 18:45:15 +0100
Rowland penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:

[snip]

> I will add this, but this will be my last post on the subject:
>
> a workgroup != NT4-style domain != AD domain

I know this.

> Find out just what your new program requires and then alter your
> setup to match these requirements,

Would that I could.

It's actually a set of servers, providing services, and clientware.
Believe-it-or-not, the vendor's people really don't seem to understand
how it all works.  All they seem to know is they're used to operating in
a MS AD environment.  Now stuff isn't working and they appear to be
lost.

My *guess* (which I'll bet is better than their guesses) is that
domain-level auth is the missing piece that's causing them grief.  I
figured that, if I could get that going, easily, to test my theory, I
would.

> don't try and make Samba act in a
> way it isn't meant to.

Oh, no.  Tried that once.  I'm not ever going to try to go there again.

Thing is: Whatever I do is now on a live system.  Anything I try,
beyond trivial config changes, will have to be done on "my own" time,
and I cannot afford to break the server too badly.

I think that, if I want to figure out what I have to do, I'll have to
set up a new test server on my test network and play.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is