[Samba] how to backup samba ad domain

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:47:19 UTC 2016

By downloading the source and extracting the script?

More seriously, there are lot of ways to achieve backup of Samba AD. Chose
one, that one will be the good one.

The point regarding backup is not backup, but restoration. Here it's a bit
more complex as some files are hard links (when using Bind+DLZ as DNS back
end). Rights must also be set correctly. But that's almost easy.
During restoration of AD all DC must be stopped because all DC would try to
synchronize with the newly restored DC. Once that first step is done, you
will need to join each others DC to the restored one. Once again, this
re-join must be done with Samba services stopped (on joined client, not on
the restored one of course).

Backup / restoration is on my todo list, these were only thoughts assembled
during last months in expectation I reach one day that line of my todo list
: )