[Samba] Samba4 with external bind - best practices?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 25 19:48:08 UTC 2016

On 25/07/16 20:12, Elias Pereira wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> For those who already have an external DNS server on a separate machine,
> how the best way to work with Samba4 ?
>
> How to integrate this bind server with Samba configuration ways in relation
> to dns (samba_internal/bind_dlz)

As far as I am aware, the bind9 server has to be running on the DC if
you want to use bind_dlz. This is because the DNS zones are stored in AD.

I would suggest you create a sub domain of your main domain (this is
recommended anyway) i.e. if your main domain is called 'company.com',
create a sub domain called 'samba.company.com'. Use the sub domain for
your AD domain and forward anything outside the sub domain to your main
DNS servers.

Rowland