[Samba] sendmail getting domain\user as email userId

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 25 15:30:51 UTC 2016

On 25/07/16 15:22, Mark Foley wrote:
> Mike,
>
> If the DC returns "DOMAIN\username", but domain members (correctly?) return just "username", is
> this a bug in the DC? Is there some reason the DC essentially ignores the "winbind use default
> domain = yes" and returns DOMAIN\username? It would seem to me that sendmail would not be the
> only program stumbling on this.
>
> --Mark

The problem isn't that the DC returns 'DOMAIN\username' , it is that
adding 'winbind use default domain = yes' to smb.conf on the DC doesn't
work. Without this line on a domain member, winbind returns the same
result as on a DC i.e. DOMAIN\username. The further problem is that
whilst the Samba devs are aware of this, they have other things to
fix/make work and this comes low down on the scale.

If you can program in 'C', I am sure a Patch to fix your problem would
be welcomed.

Rowland