[Samba] aio settings for samba 4.3

Russell R Poyner russell.poyner at wisc.edu
Tue Jul 19 17:49:09 UTC 2016

I'm tuning a samba 4.3 install on freebsd and I'm confused about aio
settings.

I've loaded the freebsd aio kernel module and tried various values or
aio read size and aio write size, but it seems to make no difference in
the speed.

Using MS diskspd against a samba share from a fast zfs pool I get
something like 25MB/s tops. That's well below the capacity of my Gb
network and my disk system. FWIW iperf shows >900Mbits/sec in both
directions on the link.

# smbd -b|grep aio
    vfs_aio_fork_init
    vfs_aio_posix_init
    vfs_aio_pthread_init

As always google finds lots of tuning advice, but it's not clear what if
any of it applies to 4.3 on FreeBSD.

Thanks
Russ Poyner