[Samba] Getent passwd doesn't show Domain Members

Timo Dachs-Wegmann t.wegmann at procitec.de
Tue Jul 19 12:28:50 UTC 2016

Dear Support-Team,

i have a problem regarding the function of winbind on a samba4 Active Directory Domain Controller.

I installed samba4 from the standard debian sources.
Made the domain provisioning and installed Kerberos.
After that I installed winbind and linked the libnss_winbind.so.2 -> libnss_winbind.so.
Wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g do work properly.

The strange thing is, that
"getent passwd administrator" gives back this line:
"administrator:*:0:100::/srv/samba/USERS/administrator:/bin/false"
So it seems that winbind is working properly, but getent passwd alone doesn't show the local users (same for getent group).

Can you help me with this?

I tried several tutorials and I read a lot of mails regarding this topic but I didn’t find a good answer to my problem.
I installed it in a lot of different orders (first winbind then samba, first Kerberos then samba and then winbind... etc) after a lot of different instructions.

Samba config:
[global]
	workgroup = PROCITEC
	realm = PROCITEC.DE
	netbios name = SAMBAPRO
	dns forwarder = 192.168.0.1
	idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
	registry shares = yes
	template homedir = /srv/samba/%D/%U

I edited the nsswitch.conf:
passwd:         compat winbind
group:          compat winbind

If you need further information please don’t hesitate to contact me

Kind regards

Timo Dachs-Wegmann