[Samba] IDMAP Issue

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Jul 18 12:29:16 UTC 2016

Rowland penny schreef op 17-07-2016 19:50:
> On 17/07/16 16:04, Xen wrote:
>> Achim Gottinger schreef op 17-07-2016 4:47:
>>
>>> On my servers the uid is assigned to root in /etc/passwd and to
>>> Administrator in samba.
>>> With nscd getent passwd 0 resolves to Administrator and causes strage
>>> behavior for for example ssh logins. With unscd it resolves to root
>>> like it does without caching.
>>
>> Amazing. I will do so. Thanks.
>>

> As far as I can see, unscd works like nscd and as you shouldn't use
> nscd with winbindd, then you probably shouldn't use unscd either. They
> are both caches and winbindd is a cache as well. When I install
> winbindd, if nscd is installed, I purge it.
>
> Rowland

I still don't know how Samba could act as that "Windows NT" server that
the documentation references with regards to using winbindd. I mean, my
NAS has users, but how would Samba export them? I am currently using
LDAP for it. And LDAP (nss_ldap.so) doesn't really cache I think.

If I could export the local users Samba knows about directly, then maybe
that would work better. But then, I would need IDmapping for that.

LDAP is a bit of an alien thing for me. It also doesn't integrate that
amazingly on the NAS, but that aside.