[Samba] Samba 4.4 hidden share with $

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sun Jul 17 15:19:19 UTC 2016

kendell clark schreef op 17-07-2016 10:37:
> hi
> I've noticed this as well. I'm going to guess that those are hidden
> shares that windows doesn't show because they're not supposed to be
> used, but samba shows them because windows is sharing them, but windows
> clients filter them out. I'm no expert though, I've only been
> subscribed
> to this list for a day.
> Thanks
> Kendell Clark

The default printer share will be $. But an actual printer shows up
without the $.

I am guessing the $ is a remote procedure call function, not an actual
share. Ie. it serves the purpose of returning information, but not of
returning an actual share. Windows will probably never show them, but
will use them behind the scenes.

Just my 2 cents. Nothing to worry about.