[Samba] new user introduction, and a few questions

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sun Jul 17 02:35:30 UTC 2016

coffeeking schreef op 17-07-2016 4:06:
> hi
>
> Not just yet. I've set up a windows 10 instance on my desktop to test
> with. It's not activated so I've got a month to test, will probably
> only keep it around a couple of days. How is windows doing this? When
> I go to connect to mellisa's computer which is running windows 7, even
> with the workgroup name changed from the default windows finds it and
> connects. I try the same on linux and I get "cannot mount windows
> share. No such file or directory." It's maddening. I'm not
> complaining, I'm just curious. Why is windows able to autoconfigure
> itself, and samba isn't? Or is it, and I haven't set the right
> options?

There is no one Linux. Cinnamon will do it differently than KDE. There
aren't very many other options, but the one you use determines what you
can do. It's not always everything.

Mounting shares from the command line, for instance, does not deal with
workgroups at all!.

mount -t cifs //host/share /mnt -o username     <-- is completely
uncaring about what workgroup there might be.

As far as I can tell at least.