[Samba] IDMAP Issue

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Jul 16 18:25:56 UTC 2016

On 16/07/16 14:08, Xen wrote:
> Rowland penny schreef op 14-07-2016 14:50:
>
>> If you have any users in /etc/passwd that are also in AD i.e if you
>> have user 'fred' in /etc/passwd and there is also a user 'ABC+fred' in
>> AD, then sorry, but one of them will have to go, they would be treated
>> as the same user.
>
> Are you entirely sure this is true? I don't yet know how ID mapping
> works in Samba.

OK, where is rowland stored, can you tell from this:

rowland at devstation:~$ getent passwd rowland
rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash

> But. Is the whole idea of IDmapping not importing from a remote
> server? (or service?).

No, as far as I can tell, IDmapping is all about mapping a user (or
group) from somewhere else (i.e. AD) to a local Unix user (or group).
Thinking about it, mapping is probably the wrong word, but I cannot
think of a better word now that you cannot have a local user with the
same name as one in AD.

Rowland