[Samba] Samba 4.2.14 Internal DNS not returning DNAME records?

Kris Lou klou at themusiclink.net
Fri Jul 15 19:31:38 UTC 2016

I have a bit of an oddity here:  I'm using Samba 4.2.14 with AD, using
Samba's internal DNS to serve to my domain (and forwarding others to Google
Public DNS 8.8.8.8).

However, it looks like client queries (and subsequent forwards) to a
vendor's URL (www.pitneybowes.us) fail, but are successful if I query
Google directly:

[root at XXXX~]# nslookup -type=any www.pitneybowes.us
> Server:         xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> Address:        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#53
> ** server can't find www.pitneybowes.us: SERVFAIL
> [root at XXX~]# nslookup -type=any www.pitneybowes.us 8.8.8.8
> Server:         8.8.8.8
> Address:        8.8.8.8#53
> Non-authoritative answer:
> pitneybowes.us  dname = pitneybowes.com.
> www.pitneybowes.us      canonical name = www.pitneybowes.com.
> Authoritative answers can be found from:

The only thing out of the ordinary here is the existence of a DNAME record
-- which to the best of my new understanding fails upon queries on A
records.

So my question is, are DNAME records something that Samba's internal DNS
can't handle?

Can somebody else using the Internal DNS verify this?

Thanks,
-Kris

Kris Lou
klou at themusiclink.net