[Samba] Wsus

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Fri Jul 15 17:09:24 UTC 2016

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, Thomas Maerz wrote:

> You can join a Windows Server to a Samba4 Domain controller and set up
> the WSUS server role and it should work. HOWEVER, if you are going to
> point all your devices at the WSUS server, you will require CALs for the
> devices or the users using them to maintain licensing compliance with
> Microsoft. At this point, you have paid for the number of Windows Server
> CALs you need to run actual Active Directory and may as well not use
> Samba at all as it is arguably less reliable (in some situations) and
> feature rich than a modern Microsoft AD implementation.

While that may sound like a good idea, you can't run WSUS on a domain
controller, so you're going to need at least two Windows servers.

You could run 2 windows servers on the same VM host so that they share the
same OS license.  However, while I could be wrong, I don't think you can
share CALs that way.

That said, you can definitely run a WSUS server on a Samba 4 domain.  All
of our DCs are S4, the only Windows server in our environement is a 2008
R2 VM running WSUS and centralized AV.