[Samba] Samba-4.3 on FreeBSD-10.3

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Jul 15 13:31:57 UTC 2016

I have created a Samab AD-DC on a FreeBSZD-10.3 host.  The setup
checks out and I am able to join the domain from a Win7 workstation
and run the ADUC management console in RAST.  I have opened the UNIX
Attributed properties tab for "Domain Admins" in the ADUC and set the
unix properties.

However, I get this notice "UNIX Attributes Unwilling To Perform" and
after making the changes I cannot get this test to pass:

getent group "Domain Admins"

returns nothing.

>From what I have found from searching it appears that the issue is
related to settings in /etc/nsswitch.conf.  However, I cannot find an
authoritative reference as to what these settings should be for
Samba43.  Can anyone provide me with such a reference or
authoratiavely state what the settings should be?

The default settings for FreeBSD-10.3 in /etc/nsswitch.conf are:

#
# nsswitch.conf(5) - name service switch configuration file
# $FreeBSD: releng/10.3/etc/nsswitch.conf 224765 2011-08-10 20:52:02Z
dougb $
#
group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files
services: compat
services_compat: nis
protocols: files
rpc: files

Any help with this is gratefully appreciated.

Canada  L8E 3C3