[Samba] Winbind process stuck at 100% after changing use_mmap to no

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jul 13 18:28:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 10:12:31PM +0100, Alex Crow wrote:
> I did not "put it" like anything. I just saw an problem in my setup,
> read some documents on the samba wiki, followed some advice and saw some
> unexpected behaviour. Perhaps I imagined the wiki to be more moderated
> that it really is, so my trust was misplaced. I don't blame anyone, all
> I'm trying to do is solve a problem.
>

> > how should I put this?
> > MooseFS sounds like it isn't useful with CTDB, you have paid for
> > MooseFS, it doesn't work, so you are now blaming Samba. You need to do
> > what Volker says and get MooseFS to work with mmap.
>
> AFAIK I don't need to get it to work with mmap, just get MooseFS to fix
> the non-mmap I/O coherence as, as Volker says, mmap is only important
> for TDB files and we don't store those on MooseFS.
>
> Again, no "blame" was ever implied. I saw Winbindd using 100% CPU after
> changing the "use mmap" parameter to "no" and was rather perplexed as to
> how that could happen. The first natural place to ask would be this
> list, no? I also don't recall using any accusatory or inflammatory
> language, just stating observations, posting logs and actually at one or
> two points saying I'm also talking to the MooesFS devs.
>
> As a busy sysadmin I rely on a number of sources to design and set up
> infrastructure, and sometimes it's easy to get mislead. At no point have
> I ever questioned the knowledge of people like Jeremy, Tridge, or
> Volker. I'm just dismayed as a professional at getting "ROFLS" in a
> reply to what I feel are perfectly sensible questions stemming from a
> misguided source of documentation.

Sorry for that Alex. Rowland, please be nicer to professional
people just asking for help.

I'm just back from a weeks vacation and trying to catch up.

What is the current state of your problem Alex ? As I understand
it you are requesting the MooseFS developers fix the mmap/pwrite
coherence issues.

Is there anything else you need from Samba ? What issues are
outstanding for you ?

Cheers,

	Jeremy.