[Samba] distributing samba users to the local systems

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 09:42:22 UTC 2016

I haven't yet fully read your mail, still trying to understand.

Anyway all that I read is about complexity of using several users
databases. Why not use only one user database? AD is a user database, can
be used on all these systems, can be used in conjunction with Samba... All
user names, UIDs and GIDs would be into the same DB, they would be coherent
(if you don't mess up your DB obviously ^^) and that could simplify
stuffs...

The only things which could be an issue is about clients behind a VPN (you
mentioned that techno at some point).
If this VPN is about to merge some networks, if it is permanent, these
clients would be able to access permanently AD DC and all things are easy.
If this VPN is multiple and started by each and every client randomly (e.g:
VPN for laptops accessing company's LAN from home) and these clients are
joined to AD, they will have to use credentials caching mechanism, which is
including in most of tools (from Linux or Windows) to connect on AD
domains, so there should be not too much difficulty to also have VPN
clients joined to your AD.

Now if clients are from different companies and have already one (by
company) dedicated domain, you will have an issue: you start with a real
need to deal with all these user sources...

Once user DB sources issue would be simplified you will have only to manage
others points:
- users can't connect on certain systems -> dealing with user's shell
(/bin/false, [/usr]/sbin/nologin..) or with access module
(/etc/security/access.conf)
- users are valid only as long as their shares are existing -> some script
to activate / deactivate them from AD when share is removed would do.
Whatever is the way you chose to deactivate them.

That was just morning's idea, back to read.