[Samba] questions regarding 40G Samba Server

Garland McAlexander garland at linear.nyc
Wed Jul 13 06:35:08 UTC 2016

CIFS is single threaded, if you plan on using it with a large amount of
users, you'll want to have faster cores. NFS is multi threaded, so you can
take advantage of additional cores better. Depending on how many users you
are serving, it sounds like a six core E5 (higher per core clock) would fit
well.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:29 AM, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator <
goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> forgot that... CIFS and NFS. May be we split both to different servers.
> One CIFS, one NFS.
>
>     Regards . Götz
>

> Am 13.07.16 um 08:26 schrieb Garland McAlexander:
> > What shares will you be using? (NFS, CIFS, etc)
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:11 AM, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator
> > <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
> > <mailto:goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >     we expect a growth in bigger file transfers (files n*10 GB up to
> >     multiple 100GB) on a regular base from a smaller number of users
> >     combined with the "normal" office use with word files, mail
> >     profiles etc
> >     from about 500 users.
> >
> >     We plan a new Fileserver/Storage Head with 40Gb NICs client and
> >     storage
> >     side.
> >
> >     What would be regarding to samba be of more importance: multiple
> Cores
> >     or more MHz per core?
> >
> >         Any suggestions? Feedback? Thanks! and regards . Götz
> >

> --

*Sincerely,*
*Garland McAlexander*
*O: 212-271-0198*