[Samba] Demote Win2008R2 DC Fail

Jason Waters jason at geeknocity.com
Tue Jul 12 12:33:59 UTC 2016

This is what I would do.

1. Make sure everything is off of the 2008 machine so you don't need to
turn it back on
2. Shut down the 2008 machine
2.5 Update your DNS on the samba machine to be the samba machine, not the
2008 DC
3. Test everything and make sure samba is fully working on your domain
4. Test everything again
5. Test!
6. Seize the roles on your samba machine, samba-tool fsmo seize --force
--role=all -Uadministrator
         I don't think you need the -U, but just in case
7. Reboot that machine and make sure everything looks good
8. make sure samba-tool fsmo show, shows all 7 roles of the samba machine
9. From a workstation, run the Metadata clean.vbs script.  This will remove
the replication to the now off 2008 DC
10. Reboot the samba box
11. run samba-tool drs showrepl and it shouldn't show any partners
12. Once that is done you should just have samba.  You can then add more
DC's with

samba-tool domain join domain.local DC -UAdministrator

and any other options you need.