[Samba] Unable to transfer ForestDns/DomainDNS

Jason Waters jason at geeknocity.com
Tue Jul 12 12:07:05 UTC 2016

So you are saying samba-tool domain level raise --forest-level=2008_R2 does
nothing with the schema, just changes the value that is returned when doing
samba-tool domain level show?

If that is the case I think it would be nice to put something like that on
the wiki page about raising the functional level!  I spent a ton of time
trying to go from Windows 2003 directly to samba.  Granted learned a ton
about AD along the way but I think showing the clear paths to samba from
windows would make the transition easier.

So if samba at some point supports AD's 2012 schema will we need to join
2012 as a DC upgrade, move the fsmo roles to the 2012 machine running the
2008_R2 schema, upgrade the schema and then wait until the changes sync and
then move the fsmo roles back?  Either that or actually upgrade the schema?

Thanks for letting me and the community know.

Jason