[Samba] server not using utf8-mode with Synology client

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Jul 11 23:19:37 UTC 2016

Jeremy Allison schreef op 12-07-2016 0:58:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 11:41:24PM +0200, Xen wrote:
>> I wrote here how my filenames are getting mangled when getting sent
>> or received to the server.
>>
>> Server: current Ubuntu lookalike.
>>
>> Client: Older Synology diskstation with probably a modified
>> mount.cifs.
>>
>> When I send utf-8 it gets received as dos.
>>
>> "é" for instance is #c3a9 in utf-8, and it is used by the server as
>> #c3, #a9, two separate bytes, becoming é.
>>
>> The server is just configured with defaults for "dos" and "unix"
>> clients.
>>
>> The client tries to use iocharset=utf8.
>>
>> What can I do to enforce utf8 being recognised by the server?
>
> Set the parameter:
>
>  unix charset = utf8
>
> in the [global] section of the synology smb.conf.

I did that.

I fixed it for now by copying what the web interface for the device does
(the client).

It uses the "nounix" option and this fixes the issue.

I had to create a shell script as wrapper to capture its options :p.

Actually I tried both "utf8" and "UTF-8" in the config section on the
server.

I am sorry if I hadn't made that clear, I had thrown away all of the log
output I had pasted in my email.

I recompiled mount.cifs from source but this didn't make a difference.
However compiling all of samba is near impossible due to all the missing
libraries on that system.

(Even getting libwbclient proves to be quite a hassle).

This is the full line the device uses:

-o
soft,user=WORKGROUP\guest,pass=,iocharset=utf8,uid=1024,gid=100,nounix,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,nocase

But only "nounix" was necessary here in this sense. However this
apparently disables unix-extensions and so I do not see any longer the
ownership of files now.

So basically with unix-extensions disabled, utf8 conversion fails to
work???