[Samba] bugged mount with Synology as client.

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Jul 11 18:35:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have some weird issue I don't know how to tackle.

When I share a folder from a Unix (Linux) machine using a current
version of Samba (smbd) and I mount it on an older Synology (2.6.32) the
reading of files goes fine.

However all files I create get the chacacters #EF80AF affixed to the
filename, which is a Unicode code point for private extensions, or
something of the kind.

Perhaps it also means "left-to-right", I don't know.

The CIFS kernel module might very well be modified by Synology, I don't
know.

Although modinfo just produces the following (without parms):

filename:       /nas/home/cifs.ko
version:        1.61
Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
license:        GPL
author:         Steve French <sfrench at us.ibm.com>
srcversion:     BAD2BA742996F91AC9BA4E4
depends:
vermagic:       2.6.32.12 mod_unload ARMv5

 From another current Linux machine (same kind, I guess) operation is
flawless, no problem whatsoever from what I can see.

Actually that #EF80AF is getting prefixed, not affixed, in that sense
that a filename may become (on the server):

00000000  ef 80 af 77 65 69 72 64  0a                       |...weird.|
00000009

(where the newline is just added by ls). So #ef80af is utf-8. There is
no other log output on the part of the server.

Unix extensions are in affect but in fact even .... I'm sorry, reading
stuff also doesn't work.

A regular file requested that was written by another host (and has
normal characters in the name) results in "File not found" when trying
to e.g. cat.

"No such file or directory."

Do I need to compile a new kernel module? I guess I'll start doing that
but it has to come from the 2.6.32 tree so it will be that same older
module probably.

So I just absolutely don't know what is going on. If you can help,
please.!.