[Samba] Successes an failures with Samba 4.3.9 and FreeBSD-10.3

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 11 17:54:08 UTC 2016

On 11/07/16 17:57, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:10 AM, Rowland penny <rpenny at samba.org
> <mailto:rpenny at samba.org>> wrote:
>

>     See inline comments
>
>     On 11/07/16 06:32, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
>
>         So... I've been running Samba 3.6 for too long and I
>         upgraded.  I did save
>         my packages for 3.6, but I don't _think_ I'm going back.
>
>         Points for the group:
>
>             - Samba 4.4.x is broken on FreeBSD.  I forget exactly, but
>         it seems to
>             be a known problem (tm), so I'll move on.
>

>     What is wrong with Samba 4.4.x on FreeBSD ?
>

> Urm... I _think_ it was a build problem.  It hit very early on and
> mailing list traffic from June 2016-ish seem to validate it was a
> known thing.  I don't have an easy place to test as it will refuse to
> build with 4.3 loaded up.  Maybe I'll make a jail after these problems
> are fixed.

Never used freebsd, but I would have thought you should be able to build
Samba from a tarball.

>             - Whether I use BIND9_DLZ or I use SAMBA_INTERNAL,
>         samba_dnsupdate
>             complains.  Strange thing, tho: all the domains seem to
>         lookup fine.  I
>             can't exactly find the problem here.
>

>     I understand this is a known problem and can possibly be 'fixed'
>     by adding 'allow dns updates = nonsecure and secure' to smb.conf
>     on the DC.
>

> Not in my case.  Already have that line.

How are you using samba_dnsupdate ?

>         Now... this is pretty bupkis, because ldbsearch finds the SID for
>         administrator _and_ for my login just fine.  In addition,
>         ldbedit lets me
>         change my xidNumber.  I did so.  when I re-ldbedit... it's
>         changed.
>

>     And this where lots of people make the same mistake, don't change
>     the 'xidNumber' attribute in idmap.ldb, add a 'uidNumber'
>     attribute to the users object in sam.ldb.
>

> uidNumber doesn't work.  I ldbedited'd my SID to add that attribute.
> Then I restarted samba, then I created a file with my workstation.
> Still has 3000016 rather than 101 as the uid.

Straight after adding a uidNumber attribute, it probably will not be
used, because the info will be pulled from a cache instead of AD, try
running 'net cache flush', if that doesn't work, as a last result, find
the users object in idmap.ldb and remove it.

Rowland