[Samba] Successes an failures with Samba 4.3.9 and FreeBSD-10.3

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 16:57:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:10 AM, Rowland penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:

> See inline comments
>
> On 11/07/16 06:32, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
>
>> So... I've been running Samba 3.6 for too long and I upgraded.  I did save
>> my packages for 3.6, but I don't _think_ I'm going back.
>>
>> Points for the group:
>>
>>     - Samba 4.4.x is broken on FreeBSD.  I forget exactly, but it seems to
>>     be a known problem (tm), so I'll move on.
>>

> What is wrong with Samba 4.4.x on FreeBSD ?

Urm... I _think_ it was a build problem.  It hit very early on and mailing
list traffic from June 2016-ish seem to validate it was a known thing.  I
don't have an easy place to test as it will refuse to build with 4.3 loaded
up.  Maybe I'll make a jail after these problems are fixed.

>     - Whether I use BIND9_DLZ or I use SAMBA_INTERNAL, samba_dnsupdate
>>     complains.  Strange thing, tho: all the domains seem to lookup fine.
>>     can't exactly find the problem here.
>>

> I understand this is a known problem and can possibly be 'fixed' by adding
> 'allow dns updates = nonsecure and secure' to smb.conf on the DC.

Not in my case.  Already have that line.

>> Now... this is pretty bupkis, because ldbsearch finds the SID for
>> administrator _and_ for my login just fine.  In addition, ldbedit lets me
>> change my xidNumber.  I did so.  when I re-ldbedit... it's changed.
>>

> And this where lots of people make the same mistake, don't change the
> 'xidNumber' attribute in idmap.ldb, add a 'uidNumber' attribute to the
> users object in sam.ldb.

uidNumber doesn't work.  I ldbedited'd my SID to add that attribute.  Then
I restarted samba, then I created a file with my workstation.  Still has
3000016 rather than 101 as the uid.