[Samba] Does KB3161949 (netbios disabled on windows) affect samba4 as well?

Sangeeta Singh sangeeta.ss.singh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 05:18:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

Sorry am new, so dont know if this is the right place to ask this question.
Microsoft recently released a security update( KB 3161949) that
disables netbios connection outside the local subnet.

I have been using Samba 3.0.28 and since the name resolution doesn't
happen after installing the patch, I cant connect to my shares
anymore.

If someone is using Linux samba4, can you please let me know if it
affected samba when its a member in a Windows domain?

It should since samba in that configuration would still use netbios
but I couldnt find any chatter regarding this online, which is a
little odd. There are posts from facing similar issue and dont know
which version they were using, if they were using Linux samba.