[Samba] Option configure

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jul 10 06:20:04 UTC 2016

Am 10.07.2016 um 03:34 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> I agree that the shell scripts have often been frighteningly bad for
> many daemons. The problem has been solved with many, much lighter
> weight and safer init processes, and it integration for Samba makes
> Samba development less cross-platform compatible, since systemd *only*
> runs on Linux and cannot be integrated to other operating systems due
> to its kernel dependencies.

how does that make development less cross-platform compatible?

sorry but that is nonsense since you have to take care of special
handling on other unix types too or just hope that it works there when
no testing machines are available (see recent AIX topics and that nobody
knows by lack of testing machines)

integration with systemd watchdogs is just anotehr small piece of code
to make monitoring relieable in case a service didn't crash but no
longer works and makes things less complx since you can replace
additional monitoring tools

> My personal favorite has become
> daemontools, for which I publish SRPM's, but I don't see that
> replacing SysV init or systemd despite its gracefulness, stability,
> and maturity.

daemontools is a workaround for a broken init system which has no
concept of what happend after fire up a service

> Systemd has some useful features, especially logging boot-time kernel
> operations, but it still has *enormous* procedural and architectural
> problems. Binary logging instead of long-established plain text syslog
> style logs

a complete non-issue since journald (the part which takes care of early
boot logging) don't need to wrote logs to disk as i does not on any of
my machines which all use the rsyslog

$WorkDirectory /var/lib/rsyslog
$IMJournalStateFile imjournal.state

> unclear and unintuitive layout

wrong, you just refuse to trying to understand it for many years

> insistent restarting of failed daemons, and the resulting overwriting
> of crash dumps from failed daemons as a result are all issues

nonsense - besides that it's not default this are your friends

StartLimitIntervalSec=
StartLimitBurst=
StartLimitAction=

> The replacement of
> /etc/resolv.conf with an unstable symlink into its internal DHCP
> server, with no feature or plan to have a feature to reset the symlink
> if broken by accidenal user test editing with or manipulation by a
> configuraiton management system add to the destabilization and
> directly impinges Samba based DNS.

nonsense - that parts are completly optional to use

> Do not get me *started* on the recent systemd default
> "UserKillProcess" setting that terminates, silently and with no log
> whastoever any dangling user process that belongs to a user whose
> shell session has anded. This breaks screen, tmux, nohup'ed or
> otherwise backgrounded processes, including long-running hand-starteed
> Samba backups or database repair processes for which the active tty
> has ended. It's *nasty*

to make it short - i often don't agree with systemd developers, also in
this case but when a default *option* where adjust it to your needs
takes less to write than your whole paragraph about it i can't take it
serious