[Samba] Option configure

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 01:34:48 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 09.07.2016 um 17:19 schrieb Rowland penny:
>>
>> On 09/07/16 10:27, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>>>
>>> What is different afterwards when using with/without? Does it create a
>>> systemd service file?
>>>
>> Do not know about '--with-systemd', but there are no (horrible) systemd
>> components if you use '--without-systemd'
>

> there is nothing horrible in a systemd service-unit

Except the horrible systemd logging, instead of flat text rsyslog, and
the extraordinary difficulty of starting any of the daemons inside a
usable debugger.

> horrible are large and complex shell scripts trying to do all sort of magic
> for start a service and with no clue about service states, no proper
> restart-otpions and no proper security options

I agree that the shell scripts have often been frighteningly bad for
many daemons. The problem has been solved with many, much lighter
weight and safer init processes, and it integration for Samba makes
Samba development less cross-platform compatible, since systemd *only*
runs on Linux and cannot be integrated to other operating systems due
to its kernel dependencies. My personal favorite has become
daemontools, for which I publish SRPM's, but I don't see that
replacing SysV init or systemd despite its gracefulness, stability,
and maturity.

Systemd has some useful features, especially logging boot-time kernel
operations, but it still has *enormous* procedural and architectural
problems. Binary logging instead of long-established plain text syslog
style logs, unclear and unintuitive layout, insistent restarting of
failed daemons, and the resulting overwriting of crash dumps from
failed daemons as a result are all issues. The replacement of
/etc/resolv.conf with an unstable  symlink into its internal DHCP
server, with no feature or plan to have a feature to reset the symlink
if broken by accidenal user test editing with or manipulation by a
configuraiton management system add to the destabilization and
directly impinges Samba based DNS.

Do not get me *started* on the recent systemd default
"UserKillProcess" setting that terminates, silently and with no log
whastoever any dangling user process that belongs to a user whose
shell session has anded. This breaks screen, tmux, nohup'ed or
otherwise backgrounded processes, including long-running hand-starteed
Samba backups or database repair processes for which the active tty
has ended. It's *nasty*.