[Samba] Building Samba RPMs on CentOS 7 as an alternative to Sernet packages

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 15:09:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Darren Bowen <darren.c.bowen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'm new to Samba 4 and looking to use it as an alternative to a Microsoft
> Active Directory domain controller. We run on CentOS 7 and I've read that
> the Samba packages for this distro don't support AD due to using MIT
> Kerberos instead of Heimdal. This lead me to trying the Sernet pacakges,
> which work great, but they are restricted to 7.2 for the free version. I'm
> keen not to end up on an unsupported version so have been looking at
> building Samba from source instead.

My previous work along these lines is at
https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo and has associated modules for
other samba related libraries. The big problem with the latest Samba 4
base releases is the updated gnutls requirements, which are *not*
available for CentOS 7. Samba 4.3 may be the final set of releases
compatible with domain controller use, and CentOS 7.

I've not gone back to resolve that, and don't know if the gnutls
requirement can be scaled back. But feel free to work with those tools
and enjoy the development experience.