[Samba] Using Samba4 AD to authenticate users of other Linux services (SSH, Mail, etc.)

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Jul 8 06:46:09 UTC 2016

> For Samba4 AD, I see mentions of pam-winbind, pam-sss, sssd, kerberos, and
> don't
> quite understand which of these I actually need.
Its your party...   and,., you forgot pam-ldap ;-)

You need to set UID/GIDs on the users and groups.
And you need to make sure these users have a home dir.

I choose kerberos for my linux auth.
Per example for ssh, if you install ssh-krb5 in debian,
you can use the AD-AC users to login on the linux systems.
Look here : https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Documentation
Bit on the bottem there are some examples.
Like : https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/OpenSSH_Single_sign-on
If you run pam-auth-update you can see the pam selected things.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Greetz,

Louis