[Samba] Winbind process stuck at 100% after changing use_mmap to no

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 21:12:31 UTC 2016

.

> Sorry if I offended you, but Volker was telling you what you needed to
> do. You were coming over as if you didn't want to do what you were
> being advised to do.

No, that is just not the case. I just wanted to be sure of the
implications of what I was doing and what areas of the operation of
Samba and CTDB might be affected given the confusing results of my
ping_pong tests.

>> I am prepared to pay Volker via Sernet as this is of great importance
>> to us and will help develop another open source product. Is that so
>> hard to understand?
>>

> When you put it that way, no, but the way to put it previously, yes.

I did not "put it" like anything. I just saw an problem in my setup,
read some documents on the samba wiki, followed some advice and saw some
unexpected behaviour. Perhaps I imagined the wiki to be more moderated
that it really is, so my trust was misplaced. I don't blame anyone, all
I'm trying to do is solve a problem.

> how should I put this?
> MooseFS sounds like it isn't useful with CTDB, you have paid for
> MooseFS, it doesn't work, so you are now blaming Samba. You need to do
> what Volker says and get MooseFS to work with mmap.

AFAIK I don't need to get it to work with mmap, just get MooseFS to fix
the non-mmap I/O coherence as, as Volker says, mmap is only important
for TDB files and we don't store those on MooseFS.

Again, no "blame" was ever implied. I saw Winbindd using 100% CPU after
changing the "use mmap" parameter to "no" and was rather perplexed as to
how that could happen. The first natural place to ask would be this
list, no? I also don't recall using any accusatory or inflammatory
language, just stating observations, posting logs and actually at one or
two points saying I'm also talking to the MooesFS devs.

As a busy sysadmin I rely on a number of sources to design and set up
infrastructure, and sometimes it's easy to get mislead. At no point have
I ever questioned the knowledge of people like Jeremy, Tridge, or
Volker. I'm just dismayed as a professional at getting "ROFLS" in a
reply to what I feel are perfectly sensible questions stemming from a
misguided source of documentation.

Apologies for clutter.

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information. Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements Ltd.
29 Clement's Lane, London EC4N 7AE. Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300.
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under
number: 3727592). Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority (entered on the Financial Services Register; no. 190856).