[Samba] Winbind process stuck at 100% after changing use_mmap to no

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 20:06:54 UTC 2016

Hi Volker,

I apologise if I came across as an a***hole here. Responses below:

On 05/07/16 20:45, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 08:12:59PM +0100, Alex Crow wrote:

>>> Why do you set "use mmap = no"?

>>> MooseFS should not have any business at all in tdb files. If you still
>>> find tdb files used on MooseFS, you should investigate your
>>> configuration and modify it such that tdb files only exist on local
>>> file systems.
>>>
>>> Volker
>> There are *no* more tdb files on MooseFS, that's what I'm trying to test.
> Why are you still using "use mmap = no" then?
Because the wiki article does not explicitly state that mmap coherence
is only needed for areas that store tdb files. I'd perhaps incorrectly
deduced that as you had explicitly said that "private dir" on the
cluster FS was a bad idea, that disabling that would stop all tdb files
being written to the MooseFS FS, and that would be the solution.

My understanding was the "use mmap" affected general FS operations from
clients, not just tdb files.

>>  From the ping_pong wiki page it's instructed to use "use_mmap = no" if
> As I sad in an earlier mail: The wiki page is wrong. If you don't trust
> one of the primary developers of Samba and to a lesser extent ctdb
> (myself, sorry for bragging) and trust the wiki more, then I am a bit
> lost, sorry.

I am completely aware of who you and Jeremy are and I have the utmost
respect and thanks for the amazing software you have provided. We're
planning our migration to Samba 4 AD (from classic) right now.

>> Text here:
>>
>> "
>>

>>      Testing mmap coherence
>>
>> If you add the -m switch to ping_pong along with -rw then it will do the
>> I/O coherence test via mmap. It isn't absolutely essential that a
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This is the key piece. It is not essential.

Again, I was not clear if it meant that "it's not essential, so if it
fails, you *must* disable mmap, if it doesn't fail, no worries but
perhaps do it just in case". However there is no mention anywhere,
including in the smb.conf man page, that it may lead to huge perfomance
impact.

>> cluster filesystem supports coherent mmap for CTDB/Samba, but it's nice
>> for bragging points over other cluster filesystems. If your cluster
>> filesystem doesn't pass this test then just use the "use mmap = no"
>> option in smb.conf. Even if it does pass this test that option may be a
>> good idea on most cluster filesystems."
> This piece is wrong. The wiki should give you hints who wrote this.
> Please contact the author of those lines, refer to the mail thread
> here and ask these lines to be changed or even better -- change these
> lines yourself.
I see what you mean here, but I'd not want to edit a wiki when I have
less idea of the facts that the person that wrote the original text! I'd
not want to update it without knowing the precise facts, hence my
reaching out to the Samba list and yourself.

>> So is this documentation wrong as well? It seems to suggest setting it
> Yes, the documentation is wrong.
>
>> anyway, which is clearly not working for us (and now for sure there is
>> no involvement with TDB files as I've deleted the "private dir" in smb.conf.
>>

>> The only reason I was asking if you'd like to talk to the MooseFS chaps
>> is because of the failure of the -rw test, which as far as the
>> documentation goes, seems to refer to the shared FS rather than any
>> places where tdb files live.
> If MooseFS does not even survive -rw without asking for mmap coherence,
> just don't use it for Samba. This will eat your data for breakfast.
> Gluster was there loooong ago, and they fixed it before becoming a
> viable storage solution for Samba.
>
> Volker

MooseFS does not ask for mmap coherence. It has inconsistent results on
a plain -rw test. I think the chaps over there are interested in gaining
some input from your considerable experience. If they have to pay fees
via Sernet or we do, I'm not bothered. I already have them going over my
setup and checking everything, so I'm hoping it's a misconfiguration on
my part. The other choice was GlusterFS but its small-file performance
was almost an order of magnitude below MooseFS.

Many thanks

Alex
--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information. Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements Ltd.
29 Clement's Lane, London EC4N 7AE. Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300.
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under
number: 3727592). Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority (entered on the Financial Services Register; no. 190856).