[Samba] 'smbtree -N' produces null output

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 05:54:58 UTC 2016

I know smbtree -N used to do what I wanted, because I created an alias to it
in ~/.bashrc called netview (based upon 'net view' in OS/2) many moons ago,
when findsmb quit working. Now when I try it in *buntu 16.04 or any recent
openSUSE or Knoppix (e.g. with samba 4.2.4 in OS 13.1 or 42.1), I always get
a null return. nmblookup just produces a usage message, and its man page
doesn't seem to have anything looking equivalent, or even anything that
produces more than a usage message. Besides using an OS/2 system to run 'net
view', how is one running in a terminal supposed to find out these days
what's available on a Windows-free LAN with OS/2 LANMAN shares on it, or even
any Linux shares? Does something need to be added to or removed from the
local master's smb.conf?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/