[Samba] How to GSSAPI/Kerberos authenticate with Dovecot [formerly Where is krb5.keytab or equivalent?]

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 4 20:30:50 UTC 2016

On 04/07/16 21:15, Mark Foley wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 08:18:11 +0100 Rowland penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:
>
>> The problem is that Samba doesn't recommend using the DC as a fileserver
>> etc This is why it isn't mentioned,
> Well, I don't see that the DC is being used as an actual file server simply by hosting an email
> server.  There is no share defined in smb.conf to accomodate this.  Furthermore, I think it is
> common practice for the AD/DC to also be the mail server.  Certainly that has been my
> experience, esp. coming from the Microsoft universe with the typical small business
> configuration of SBS and Exchange on the same host; now replaced by Samba4 and Dovecot/IMAP.
> Since Dovecot is only trying to authenticate, I don't see how this could possibly be a NOT
> RECOMMENDED configuration.

Samba only recommends using the DC for authentication, now I live in the
real world and know that people will use it for other purposes. The wiki
used to be littered with how to this , that and the other on the DC,
there were other pages that had similar info for domain members and
quite frankly, it was a mess. Marc Muhelfeld sorted out the wiki, basing
it around Samba's recommendations, I am not going to start undoing all
Marc's hard work.

>> on a correctly set up domain member, the keytab is created during the join.
> Probably true for a domain member, but not for the AD/DC. I disagree that you should restrict
> kerberos authentication to domain members.

I never said that, you can have kerberos authentication on a DC, I just
said that when you join a domain member, you get a keytab.

>>> Someone please put at least the required samba-tool commands into the wiki for other poor
>>> schmucks like me.
>>>
>>> --Mark
>> Will do, but it will be phrased in the context of using a domain member
>> not a DC.
> Your the boss, but I don't think that covers the issue.  You helped me set up a domain member
> for single-sign-on about a year ago and that required nothing special on the AD/DC.  I think
> Samba/Kerberos works for domain members, but not for authentication on the same host running
> the DC.  I think it's fallacious to assume the mail server will be on a standalone host/domain
> member.  Maybe in the Microsoft world, but Linux certainly has the horsepower to handle AD/DC
> and Mailserver on the same box.
>
> --Mark

Samba doesn't say 'you cannot', it just recommends you not to, but it is
your DC and you can do whatever you like with it.

Rowland