[Samba] Samba not listening on port 138?

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Jul 4 19:52:15 UTC 2016

I am attempting to connect to a new Samba-4.3 based AD-DC from a
workstation that already belongs to an existing domain.  The old
domain and the new are switched on the same physical lan segment but
have different IP network blocks assigned. Both route through the same
gateway albeit on different interfaces.

I cannot seem to find the new AD-DC from the RAST package installed on
the workstation.  From the workstation I can ping the Samba DC without
problem and the Samba server resolves DNS without difficulty.  I have
been checking the ports and discovered that the Samba installation is
not listening on port 138.  From what I have read this seems to
indicate a problem somewhere.  Is this case?  What setting is required
to get Samba to listen on 138 or should it just be doing it?  What
would prevent it from doing so?

Any help offered on this matter is gratefully accepted.

Canada  L8E 3C3