[Samba] samba4 stopped working

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 4 16:30:46 UTC 2016

On 04/07/16 16:36, Gary Dale wrote:
> I've been using Samba4 on Debian/Jessie since it became "stable".
> After the last upgrade however, I got a massive failure.
>
> The first symptom I noticed was that I couldn't grab updates from the
> Debian servers. However when clients tried to log in, the real problem
> revealed itself. They could only log on using a temporary profile and
> couldn't connect to any of the shares or printers.
>
> When I test my implementation of Samba, it fails the basic test:
>
> # smbclient -L localhost -U%
> Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)
>
> The globals section of smb.conf is:
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = DENTALOFFICE
>         realm = DENTALOFFICE.ROSSLAND.DENTAL
>         netbios name = MOLAR
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>         dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
>         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>         allow dns updates = nonsecure
>
> which explains why I can't get to the Debian servers. The hand off to
> Google's DNS servers never happens.
>
> ps aux | grep  nmbd, smbd or samba all show that samba isn't running.
> The logs for starting samba show:
>
> [2016/07/04 11:29:48.240042,  0]
> ../source4/smbd/server.c:370(binary_smbd_main)
>   samba version 4.2.10-Debian started.
>   Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2014
> [2016/07/04 11:29:48.421540,  0]
> ../source4/smbd/server.c:488(binary_smbd_main)
>   samba: using 'standard' process model
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> [2016/07/04 11:29:48.446253,  0]
> ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
>   STATUS=daemon 'samba' finished starting up and ready to serve
> connections
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor.
> samba: setproctitle not initialized, please either call
> [...]

What version did you upgrade from and what is the version now ?

You could try installing 'winbind', this seems to be your problem
'/usr/sbin/winbindd: Failed to exec child - No such file or directory'
Earlier versions of Samba4 running as a DC used 'winbind' built into the
'samba' binary, later versions use the separate 'winbindd' binary instead.

Rowland