[Samba] How to change samba4 domaine name

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 08:31:44 UTC 2016

I believe trust relationship are working since 4.3.0. This feature is not
yet full developed but I believe Samba can do transitive bi-directional
trusts only.

This is the most open trust and so this kind of trust relationship could be
used to do what the MS doc says.

I'm actually renaming my domain, we did use ldbsearch + awk/sed to rename
everything, ldbadd to import everything.
I believe there is no way to extract passwords from Samba AD and that could
be a show stopper. Here we have user passwords stored elsewhere and we can
synchronize them back.
We chose that way to re-test and improve our deployment strategy.

What I didn't tried was to re-use domain SID for my new domain. Re-using it
is not an issue if no connection exist between the new and the old domain
and re-using domain SID could be helpful to avoid changing AD user profile
on Windows clients (if and only if we can set/force objectSid when
re-injecting users, which is not sure).