[Samba] Unable to fetch value for secret BCKUPKEY_, are we an undetected RODC?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 4 07:28:52 UTC 2016

On 04/07/16 06:06, Mark Foley wrote:
> Garming - thanks for your quick response.
>
> That link you gave me has Samba 3.x patches. I didn't notice any links to 4.x patches.
>
> Official Distro Releases are often behind the current stable release, generally. In fact, when
> I first installed Samba4 the Linux version was more recent than the Ubuntu version. This lag is
> probably due to abundance of caution and/or lack of manpower.
>
> I don't think users will notice any problem (though they haven't used the new version yet). I've
> tested quite often this weekend and noticed nothing bad. If it's just a matter of a cluttered
> log file I can live with that until the Slack-folk catch up to version 4.2. I'm cautious about
> patching and wandering outside the official distro. Who knows what might happen at the next
> distro upgrade - perhaps losing the patch, at best.
>
> THX --Mark

If you followed the link to the actual commit in git, you would have
found that:
A) it is just a (wrong) error message
B) it is just a one line change

Finally, Andrew Bartlett's reply in the bug report says 4.2 is in
security fixes only and this:

However this is a very good place-holder to remind those issuing 4.2
packages to pick up this change, particularly if upgrading from 4.1.

So I suggest you go and have a word with slackware if you want this
fixing and don't want to compile 4.2 yourself.

Rowland