[Samba] truecrypt on synology as subfolder

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Jul 2 15:24:23 UTC 2016

Xen schreef op 02-07-2016 17:01:

> The most annoying thing about samba (and applies to NFS as well) as a
> client, is that when there is some network error; the entire system
> may hang as all reads of the root filesystem (or the / directory) can
> block until that network mount thing is resolved, practically
> rendering your entire system frozen.
>
> Is there not a solution for that?

I've had to hard-reset my machine.

It is like git reset --hard but not very functional.

Sometimes mount will cause a freeze of the / directory with remote
(network) filesystems.

And sometimes you can only recover by hard-resetting the machine.

And then upon reboot, you try the same thing, and no issue at all.

(Thank you Harald)

I mean, maybe it has nothing to do with NFS or SMBD, but....

I run into this regularly and as such, have regular (perhaps not as
often, depends on how much you need to do it) complete system freezes.

Reindl Harald schreef op 02-07-2016 17:07:

> that's hardly something which can be changed in the application layer
> and you have similar problems when write large data to a slow
> block-device connected with USB

So do you have any info on whether someone else could fix it? I mean,
there must be kernel people that know about it right. Is there a way to
file the issue with some bug tracker or something? Somewhere people will
notice?

The CIFS mount hangs for some reason and the entire system goes down
with it.

And every process that needs to read the / directory, hangs.

And that's your Linux stability, then :S.

This can also happen on a server that has an NFS mount.

I suppose the reading of / fails because the stat on the mountpoint
fails (blocks).

So it's probably not only going to be a hanging mount(), but also a
subsequent hanging stat().

Serious issue for me.