[Samba] truecrypt on synology as subfolder

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Jul 2 15:01:45 UTC 2016

Jeremy Allison schreef op 01-07-2016 19:53:

>> So the transition from regular filespace to LUKS filespaces
>> (different volume) is not getting this LUKS filespace to appear
>> empty to Samba, but not to the linux system itself. Is this to be
>> expected?
>>
>> Is that normal operation, this?
>
> Hard to tell without logs I'm afraid. We'd need much more data
> to tell, but the honest answer is probably "don't do that" :-).

I have no other smbd logs other than output that says that some
parameter (wide symlinks) is unknown. There is nothing else in there.

The previous error (with Truecrypt) was found in some logs though.

Basically umount is trying to kill the process, but it is unkillable:

Apr 30 00:35:50 diskstation umount: Kill the process
"/usr/syno/sbin/smbd" with /store/home/xen.
Apr 30 00:35:50 diskstation umount: Kill the process
"/usr/syno/sbin/smbd" with /store/home/xen.
Apr 30 00:35:50 diskstation umount: Kill the process
"/usr/syno/sbin/smbd" with /store/home/xen.
Apr 30 00:35:50 diskstation umount: Kill the process
"/usr/syno/sbin/smbd" with /store/home/xen.
Apr 30 00:35:50 diskstation umount: Kill the process
"/usr/syno/sbin/smbd" with /store/home/xen.
Apr 30 00:35:50 diskstation umount: Kill the process
"/usr/syno/sbin/smbd" with /store/home/xen.
Apr 30 00:35:50 diskstation umount: Kill the process
"/usr/syno/sbin/smbd" with /store/home/xen.
Apr 30 00:35:50 diskstation umount: Kill the process
"/usr/syno/sbin/smbd" with /store/home/xen.

The unkillable machine ;-).

Anyway,

this makes it troublesome because I want only a small area of my share
to be encrypted ;-).

The thing is both data storage (personal files) and a workspace (for
when I log into the machine). So basically I need "two"
homedirectories.....

This is annoying and compicates matters. I have found a solution but now
my system hangs.

The most annoying thing about samba (and applies to NFS as well) as a
client, is that when there is some network error; the entire system may
hang as all reads of the root filesystem (or the / directory) can block
until that network mount thing is resolved, practically rendering your
entire system frozen.

Is there not a solution for that?