[Samba] truecrypt on synology as subfolder

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Jul 1 10:18:11 UTC 2016

Jeremy Allison schreef op 30-04-2016 1:06:

>> Copying a file to my mounted samba share did not work, the files are
>> created by they remain at 0 size. Then apparently smbd blocks in IO
>> and never continues, never recovers. I cannot kill the process, I
>> will have to reboot the NAS but it won't unmount filesystems so I
>> need a hard reset.
>
> That sounds like a kernel bug. Samba only uses normal
> open/pread/pwrite/
> close calls which should work on top of truecrypt as far as I know.

Before I had issues on some device using TrueCrypt because the entire
thing would hang (mostly SMBD, then) when I read or actually wrote files
to a truecrypt volume mounted inside of another filesystem, so that smbd
would have to cross a filesystem boundary.

I never tested what would happen if the share itself was in the mounted
crypt, from the beginning.

I now compiled LUKS on the device and I get an even stranger error in a
certain sense.

 From the "top level" samba share, the subdirectory that has LUKS
mounted, doesn't show any files.

However, when I create another share directly on the mounted LUKS
subfolder, the files are there.

So the transition from regular filespace to LUKS filespaces (different
volume) is not getting this LUKS filespace to appear empty to Samba, but
not to the linux system itself. Is this to be expected?

Is that normal operation, this?

Regards.

ps. it is not a great problem because the intent is probably going to be
to share an entire crypt container anyway, so the problem wouldn't
surface, I just wonder whether it is normal.