[Samba] Replacing a Samba 3.0 Domain controller

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Sun Jan 31 03:05:00 UTC 2016

Hallo, Frank,

Du meintest am 29.01.16:

> For many months I've been trying to replace a Samba 3.0 Domain
> Controller with a version that will support Windows 7.

> Despite advice on Samba HOWTO that all supported versions will
> support Windows 7 there seems to be an unstated caveat, namely that
> it must be configured as an Active Directory Domain Controller.
> Microsoft's own advice is that Windows 7 will not work with a Windows
> NT domain controller and is not intended to do so.

I've just tried ...

It works with Samba 4.2 "out of the box", with Windows XP, Windows 7 and
Windows 10. Samba 4.3 and 4.4 should work too - in my installation there
is a problem with "smbclient", but that's another problem.

        max protocol = NT1

is the default in the "smb.conf", and it does the job.

My Samba server uses the Samba-3 configuration, with the "old" smb.conf
and the "old" start-stop-scripts.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut