[Samba] Replacing a Samba 3.0 Domain controller

Frank Thynne fthynne at elmplace.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 14:50:02 UTC 2016

For many months I've been trying to replace a Samba 3.0 Domain Controller with a version that will support Windows 7.

Despite advice on Samba HOWTO that all supported versions will support Windows 7 there seems to be an unstated caveat, namely that it must be configured as an Active Directory Domain Controller. Microsoft's own advice is that Windows 7 will not work with a Windows NT domain controller and is not intended to do so.

By itself, that would not be an obstacle, but there another (stated) caveat that running AD and file sharing on the same computer is not recommended. That means that the single server configuration that has run trouble-free for ten years cannot be so simply replaced.

Before I embark on a two-server configuration I'd welcome opinions on this matter. In theory I suppose I could run two Virtual Servers on one computer, but that looks like a high-risk approach.