[Samba] Mounting a previously Windows (ntfs) file system

Graham S. Jarvis gsjarvis at advanz.lu
Fri Jan 29 12:33:44 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm planning a conversion of a Windows server (SBS2011) to Samba.

All the user data files are already on a separate disc in the Windows server and
my idea is to unplug the Windows boot drive and plug in a FreeBSD installation
with Samba 3.6.25 running and tested on another machine.

Fortunately it's a small installation and everybody is using the same share on
the Windows server.  Very little is stored by each user separately.
I can mount the existing Windows data drive r/w with fusefs.

What should I look out for?
- I already had problems moving files from one disc to the other under Windows
because of a mix of historical clients (file names/paths too long, permissions etc.)

Otherwise I add the FreeBSD server into the network and ask people to move their
files over manually to a new disc.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

-Graham-